Justin Taylor | Genesology


Bitter Damage of Sugar

Sunday morning, after a couple of days of bad eating, lots of carbs, and celebrating Maria's Birthday, I decided I should check my sugar levels since I am diabetic. I'm not on any medications or insulin, but I am able to control it with diet and moderation. For me, I don't drink sodas, I don't eat candy, and I don't use sugar. It's the carbs. I'm a carb guy. In the mornings I should register no more than 100 but I'm always at 120-140. On this particular Sunday morning, the screen showed 217. Not good. Now I know to be careful.

Sunday afternoon, Maria had gone to Tampa with our friend's for some business. I spent the day running some errands. Returned something at the baby store, drove to the organic farm for some amazing bacon, and headed back home to do some writing. Around 6pm I took my other meds, and was not feeling well at all. I figured I would go lay down for about an hour.

As soon as I laid down, I immediately had chest pains, my feet went numb, and my arms and legs began to burn inside. I got out of bed, and my eyesight was blurred, I was dizzy, and I knew something was terribly wrong. The first thing I thought was - here we go with cardiac problems again. But then I got a hunch to check my blood again. This time I had shot up to 338. The highest it's ever been.

I grabbed my cell and immediately headed out the front door to walk. And walk I did ... briskly for about an hour and a half. While I was walking, I called my doctors cell and told him what was going on. He assured me all the ill feelings and anxiety and fear were being cast on high sugar and not cardiac issues. He told me to call his office in the morning, to come see him. Meantime, keep walking and eat some protein along with drinking lemon water.

Also, I called a friend in Virginia who I knew was Diabetic for some of his advice. He agreed with the doctors view. He also told me it's not easy to bring it back down quickly. It would take time. Keep walking. So I did. And I stayed scared. It was a very frightening experience. One I do NOT wish to go through again. An experience that I wouldn't wish on anyone. How something so sweet as sugar could deliver such a bitter experience was beyond me.

Things got better after a couple of hours. I wasn't having the pain and burning and blurred vision. After Maria got back from Tampa, we all went to Cracker Barrel and grabbed some dinner. I ate light ... no carbs. Grilled chicken and green beans. After dinner, we went home and I read and did some writing in my chair for a couple of hours. It had been a rough night, and it was time for bed. As soon as I laid down, everything started up again. I checked my sugar levels ... still at 249. I started walking again.

This time I was shaking and I had a horrible headache. I drank more lemon water, ate some protein, and eventually decided to take one of my Xanax. Eventually, several hours later, I slowly tried to laid down. Lowering my angle with pillows every few minutes. I slept sporadically through the night, and in the morning checked my blood sugar again. It was 149. I called the doctor and had an appointment at 12:30.

The rest of the day was very uncomfortable. Thankful that it was a holiday. Tonight, my sugar level is at 179. Clearly still way too high. So, I sit here and write this, killing time before I go for another walk and try and get some sleep. I still have a pounding headache that keeps getting worse. I'm physically and emotionally drained. This has been a horrible experience, compounded by anxiety, PTSD, and panic attacks. Getting physically older is tough my friends. Life is like a casino at times.

Just a thought ...

~Justin Taylor, ORDM., OCP., DM.